Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Healthier Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread


I need to make a confession: I'm obsessed with pumpkin.  Anything that involves pumpkin is added to my must make list.  I've made cinnamon rolls, cookies, soup, and most recently pumpkin bread.  I adapted this recipe from a vintage cookbook I found in my grandmother's house.  It is super easy and you can freeze the leftovers.
   Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
  • Container of vanilla flavored Greek yogurt
  • 2 cups loosely packed brown sugar (or substitute the equivalent of your favorite sweetener)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 egg whites
  • 16 oz pureed pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips
Directions
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Make sure to have 2 loaf pans (9x5x3in) greased and ready to go once your batter is mixed. 
  • In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and yogurt.  Once well combined, add the egg, egg whites, pumpkin, water, and vanilla.
  • Next, blend in the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and the spices.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips, I had mini chocolate chips on had so I only used 1/4 of a cup but you could use more depending on what you have on hand.
  • Pour into greased loaf pans and bake for 40-60 minutes or once a wooden toothpick is inserted and it comes out clean.  
  • Let them cool slightly and then remove them from the pans and set on a wire rack to cool.  They are ready to slice once they are cooled completely. 
Again I loved this recipe! Hope you get the chance to try it and love it as much as I did!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment