Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mini Bucket Herb Garden

Alright, so it's been a while since I've posted...okay a really long while, I apologize for my failure as a blogger. Work has been a killer with all the overtime but, finally it has been lifted just in time for the nice weather to hit.  So what have I been up to since then? Well, just creating the most awesome herb garden ever!! Okay so maybe it's not the best herb garden out there, but I think it's pretty dang cool.  I can just taste the fresh salsa and mojitos now!

 Supplies:
  • Metal Buckets (Lowes)
  • S Hooks
  • Hammer/Nail
  • Plants
  • Potting Soil
  • Clear Protective Spray (RustOleum)
  • Painters Tape (Optional)
  • Rustproof Spray Paint (Optional)
  • Gloves
  1. First add about four or five holes to the bottom of your buckets, this helps the excess water drain so it won't kill your plants.  Depending on the thickness of the metal, you may need to use a drill, but for my buckets it was easier using a hammer and nail. 
  2. If you don't plain on painting your buckets all you need to do is spray each one with a coat of the clear protective spray so the buckets won't rust.  Make sure to get all the nooks, crannies, ups, and downs.  Allow to dry for 24 hours and then you're free to plant.
  3. I wanted to add a little more color to the plain metal and decided to add a little spray paint to the middle.  All you have to do is tape off the pattern you want and go to town.  I also think it would be really cute if the whole bucket was painted a fun color as well!  Really the possibilities are endless. Once the paint is dry, give a good coating of the clear protective spray and let it sit for 24 hours.
  4. Now is time for the fun part, planting.  I used a mixture of mints, herbs, and lettuces all things that I use a lot of during the summer. After all the planting was done, I used S hooks to hang them on my trellis.  I can't wait to use my chocolate mint in a yummy cocktail!
That is all for the moment, and I promise to become a better blogger soon! Are there any fun things you like to plant during the summer? Let me know by leaving a comment below!




No comments:

Post a Comment