Saturday, April 13, 2013

Healthy Ranch Chips

Lately I've been craving potato chips, but knowing how bad they are for you I've been holding off.  Sometimes you just want something that has that crunchy, salty goodness that we've become so accustomed to, that I needed to find a way to make this happen! I looked up every possible recipe that I could find and only one found its way into my heart and BONUS it's done in the microwave!! Yep you heard me right the microwave!  So once I mastered the art of making the perfect baked potato chip, I started messing around with different flavors and that's where I came up with my homemade ranch seasoning.  In total, it only takes about ten minutes to create this yummy and healthy comfort food.



What You'll Need:
  • 1 Medium Baking Potato, Scrubbed
  • 1/2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Pinch of Sea Salt
  • Olive Oil Spray
  • Favorite Seasoning or Homemade Ranch Seasoning (Optional)
  • Large Resealable Bag
  • Microwaveable Plate
  • Parchment Paper
*Recipe adapted from Devin Alexander's "I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening"

 Directions:
  1. Slice the potato into very thin rounds; you're looking for about 1/16th of an inch thick. If they are too thick they will not cook evenly.
  2. In a large resealable bag, add the potato rounds and the oil olive. Make sure the bag is sealed and then toss the potatoes until they are coated evenly with the oil.  Add the sea salt to the bag and toss again to coat.
  3. Cover a large microwaveable plate with parchment paper and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Place potato rounds on the plate, making sure that they don't overlap. Depending on the size of your potato you may need to work in batches.  
  4. Microwave the potato chips on high for 5-7 minutes, watching them carefully as they can burn really easily. The thicker the chips, the longer they will have to cook.
  5. In another resealable bag, add the cooked potato chips and the ranch seasoning (or other favorite seasoning). Toss well until chips are nicely coated. 
  6. Sit back, relax, and indulge in a healthy guilty pleasure.
Again I am obsessed with these chips and once I start I can't stop, which doesn't make them that healthy I guess. If you don't want to make your own seasoning, the best ones that I've found so far have been Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasonings, but don't let the name fool you, you can use them on almost anything! I love their white cheddar and barbeque seasonings!! What are some of your favorite potato chip flavors? Don't forget to leave your comment below!





No comments:

Post a Comment